Thunderbolt 3 10G
Mac / PC / 10GbE / Thunderbolt 3
For 10Gb/s, 5Gb/s, 2.5Gb/s, 1Gb/s, and 100Mb/s network connections
The Portable Ethernet Supercharger
The Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter adds up to 10Gb/s Ethernet connectivity to Thunderbolt 3-equipped computers that lack built-in capabilities. If you’re a video editor, creative pro, musician, or gamer, you can experience blazing-fast transfer speeds with signal reliability, stability, and security wherever you work or play.
Engage Warp Speed File Transfers
Connecting the OWC Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter to your Thunderbolt 3-equipped Mac or PC adds warp speed file transfers to your workflow. Now you can access 10GBASE-T 10Gb Ethernet networks and other devices, such as a Network Attached Storage (NAS) system, to transfer large multimedia files at over 900MB/s real-world speed. While improving project efficiency and workgroup collaboration with the quickest network connection available, the adapter is also backwards compatible with other Ethernet standards including 5GBASE-T, 2.5GBASE-T, 1000BASE-T, and 100BASE-T.
Bottleneck-Free Editing Collaboration
For post-production to work at maximum efficiency, multiple editors need to collaborate and work as a team. The Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter keeps projects on schedule and under budget by giving multiple editing workstations the bandwidth needed for sharing and editing data-intensive creative content like video, animation, and graphics. Now editing can take place directly from files on a shared RAID storage device or NAS, such as OWC Jupiter Callisto or OWC Jupiter mini, without the time waste of downloading files to individual workstations.
Ideal for Ethernet Limited Computers
The Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter opens up a world of high-performance network connectivity to Thunderbolt 3-equipped notebooks that lack built-in Ethernet connectivity and to desktop machines handcuffed by a built-in 1Gb/s Ethernet port like the iMac 2017, Mac mini 2018, and All-In-One PCs.
Maximizes SOHO Networks
Without having to incur the extra expense of a full 10Gb Ethernet network, it’s becoming common for budget-constrained, yet performance-oriented creative professionals in small or home offices to connect to a 2.5 – 5Gb/s equipped router or switch. Unfortunately, these pros are often limited to Gigabit Ethernet (1Gb/s) speed by their computer. By simply adding the Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter to their machine, photographers, videographers, musicians, and other creative pros can now enjoy greater signal reliability, stability, and security with up to 5x faster speed on 2.5 – 5Gb/s networks and up to 10x faster speed on 10Gb Ethernet networks.
Dramatically Increases Performance and ROI of Existing Network
With an ideal combination of affordability and performance, most wired local area networks installed over the past two decades utilize Cat 5e or Cat 6 copper cabling. Unfortunately, these setups are limited to a maximum 1Gb/s speed. Thanks to its built-in 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T technology (formerly NBASE-T), the Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter can deliver up to 5Gb/s speed over existing cabling for up to a 500% performance increase and maximum infrastructure ROI.
Built for Optimum Network and CPU Performance
The Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter achieves its blazing fast transfer speed and keeps your computer performing at peak because it was built with advanced features such as flow control and 64-bit address support; TCP, UDP, and IPv4 checksum offloading; and TSO, LRO, and RSS stateless offloads.
Runs Silently Cool with Rugged and Efficient Portability
Featuring a unique ventilated design that maximizes airflow, the Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter’s rugged aluminum housing works as a heat sink to operate silently cool without needing a fan. The adapter draws its power from the Thunderbolt 3 port with Energy-Efficient Ethernet support for low computer-power use and no AC adapter needed. Further complimenting its portable potential is a rubber sleeve to keep the adapter safe from bumps and bruises when thrown into a backpack or gear bag.
Existing Cable Compatible
When you need to access an older or even state-of-the-art network, the Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter’s RJ45 socket will connect you to a wide range of existing cabling infrastructures ranging from Cat 5 to Cat 7.
- Cat 5 - Up to 1Gb/s at lengths up to 100 meters
- Cat 5e - Up to 2.5Gb/s at lengths up to 100 meters
- Cat 6 - Up to 10Gb/s at lengths up to 55 meters (up to 5Gb/s up to 100 meters)
- Cat6a - Up to 10Gb/s at lengths up to 100 meters
- Cat 7 - Up to 10Gb/s at lengths up to 100 meter
Pro Audio Video AVB Ready
Time-sensitive data such as audio and video media streams require Audio Video Bridging (IEEE 802.1Qav, AVB) ready gear. No sweat…the Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter can stream vast volumes of high-quality data to multiple destinations in real-time with very low latency over existing network cable.
Access Your Work and Home Computers Anytime, Anywhere
Thanks to network Wake-on-LAN support, you can easily wake a hibernated Windows or sleeping Mac computer for remote system management, program use, and stored file access. Now instead of having an “always on” system wasting energy — and your hard-earned money — you can keep a work or home computer in a low-power state that’s accessible anytime from any location.
Transfer Files in Under A Minute
With real-world tested speeds over 900MB/s, the Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter lets you transfer a large 50GB file in under a minute!
Easy Set-Up in Two Steps
To start transferring files at up to 10x faster than Gigabit Ethernet speed, just follow these two easy steps:
- Connect the Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter to your computer’s Thunderbolt 3 port via the included cable.
- Connect the adapter to any wired network (10GbE for optimal speed) via the adapter’s RJ45 port.
- Driver download required for Windows computer use. For optimum performance, jumbo frames and other settings may need to be enabled through the Mac OS Network control panel or Windows Device Manager.
- Up to 900MB/s speed may vary due to a variety of factors including computer configuration and network condition and configuration.
- AVB functionality requires AVB compatible switch/router.
- 5Gb/s and 2.5Gb/s speeds requires NBASE-T (IEEE 802.3bz) compatible switch/router.
A UPC (Universal Product Code) or EAN (International Article Number) is a unique code used to identify a product.
OWC Part Number
Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
PC OS Compatibility
- Windows 10 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2016
- macOS 10.13.6 or later required
- Ethernet driver required for Windows 10
- 100 BASE-T
- 1000 BASE-T
- Thunderbolt 3: Intel JHL6540
- Ethernet: Aquantia AQC107S
Transfer Rate (Max)
- 10 Gbps
- Aluminum With Protective Rubber Sleeve
- Thunderbolt 3
- 0.50 m (1.64 ft.)
- Environmental (Operating)
- Temperature (°F) 41° — 95°
- Temperature (°C) 5° — 35°
- Height: 3.8 cm (1.5 in)
- Width: 8.0 cm (3.1 in)
- Length: 12.6 cm (5.0 in
- 453.0 g (1.00 lbs)
- For distances over 55 meters, high quality CAT-6A cables recommended for all speeds. For distances up to 55 meters, regular CAT-6 cables will work for speeds up to 10G, and CAT-5e cables will work for speeds up to 5G.
- To use this bus-powered device on older Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 computers, it has to be connected to the second Thunderbolt 3 port on another self-powered Thunderbolt 3 device. If connected directly to a host the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, bus-power is insufficient. An example configuration is: Thunderbolt 2 Mac with macOS 10.13.6 or above > Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter > self-powered Thunderbolt 3 device with two TB3 ports > OWC Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter.
Manufacturer provided specifications for Other World Computing p/n TB3ADP10GBE UPC#: 810586030502
- (1) Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter
- (1) Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable
- (1) Quick start guide